Thursday, December 6, 2012

Better Than A Letter from Santa

It's the end of a long day in an even longer week, but by force of habit I checked my mail before collapsing on the couch.  And wow, am I glad I did - look what was waiting for me!
 
 
It's the postcard that I sent myself from Havana more than four months ago!  I'd mailed it as an experiment since I knew mail service was unpredictable - it's only 90 miles between the U.S. and Cuba, but that distance is filled with decades of resentment and accusations.  Both countries have used mail service as a way to punish each other for political or security actions taken.  Seriously, the more I learn about the embargo the more I'm convinced it's exactly like two small children holding their breath until they get exactly what they want.
 
But in spite of all that, there it was - this amazing piece of paper waiting patiently in my mailbox.  I'd really love to know its story.  Did it just sit somewhere for all this time, or was it shipped around without logic?  There's no hint on the card itself - not even a postmark on the stamp, just a piece of heavy paper slightly worse for the wear with this message from July Beth to December Beth:
 
 
If you know me, you won't be surprised to learn that I hugged that postcard.  Thank you to the postal services, boats, planes and fickle political dynamics that allowed this to come find me again.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. What a happy post!!!! We're still waiting for our postcard to arrive and you've given us new hope. Gracias! Brooke & Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd completely given up on ever seeing my postcard again - can't wait to hear when yours arrives! My parent's card arrived on the same day, too, also without a postmark. What a mystery!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Don't worry if they don't show up right away - I read every one and they'll post as soon as I get to a computer again.